Dr. Jean Feldman
This activity (excerpt) is taken from:
Transition Time: Let’s Do Something Different!
- This story lets children get rid of their wiggles in a positive way.
- Children develop listening skills as they respond to the story.
- No materials are needed.
- Assign children to be the different characters below.
- Two or three children can be each character.
- Instruct them to stand up, turn around, and sit back down whenever their name is said in the story.
- When telling the story, pause slightly after saying each character’s name.
One day Mama Wiggle said, "why don’t we all get in the van and take a trip to Grandma and Grandpa Wiggle’s house." Papa got the van while Sister packed a lunch. Mother got the baby, and Brother got the cat and dog. Soon Mother, Father, and Baby were in the front of the van, and Sister and Brother, the cat and the dog were in the back of the van.
"Oh, no," said Sister, "I forgot the picnic lunch! We’ll never make it all the way to Grandma and Grandpa’s house without something to eat."
So Mama told Papa to stop the van. They turned around and drove back to their house to get the picnic lunch. Sister ran back to the house while the ohers sat in the van. Just then the dog started barking and scared the cat who jumped out of the van. Brother had to chase the cat and bring her back to the van. The Baby got so upset, he just cried and cried. Soon Mama, Papa, Sister, Brother, Baby, the dog, and cat were all back in the van and were on their way to Grandma and Grandpa’s house, and they all had a wonderful day.
- Make up your own silly versions of this story and other participation stories.