Resources for Hispanic Literacy
- Dictionaries, References, and Word Books
- Nonfiction Bilingual and Spanish Books
- Picture Storybooks
- Poetry, Rhyme, and Songs
- Reproducible Spanish and Bilingual Books
- Spanish and Bilingual Books for Young Children
- Spanish Books for Older Readers
- Videos, Software, Toys, and Games in Spanish
Recommended Reading for African-American History Month–or any other month!
- The Coretta Scott King Award Book List from the American Library Association
- African American Interests: Themed Reviews by www.childrenslit.com
Books of General Interest
- Celebrating Cultural Diversity Through Children’s Literature
Robert F. Smith has written annotated bibliographies of interest to children from varying cultures. Links to other useful book lists are also provided.
Multicultural/Multillingual Books from Al Salwa Publishing House
- Arabic Children’s Books
The Al Salwaa Publishing House has picture books, nursery rhymes, craft books, activitiy books and an My First picture dictionary in English/Arabic.
- POWERFUL AFRICAN-AMERICAN IMAGES REVEALED IN PICTURE BOOKS
- POWERFUL ASIAN-AMERICAN IMAGES REVEALED IN PICTURE BOOKS
- POWERFUL HISPANIC AND LATIN-AMERICAN IMAGES REVEALED IN PICTURE BOOKS
- POWERFUL NATIVE-AMERICAN IMAGES REVEALED IN PICTURE BOOKS
- Kay E. Vandergrift has authored these outstanding pages and introduces them with these words: “All children deserve to see positive images of children like themselves in the books they read. For the youngest children who “read” pictures as adults share text, illustrations can have a powerful influence on their perceptions of the world. Strong visual images of those similar to themselves, their friends, and their families are life-affirming and can encourage children to reach beyond the boundaries of their immediate life experiences and consider a multitude of possibilities for their futures. I made a special effort to find realistic stories and images, rather than only folk tales and legends, not because I would diminish the traditional works but because we need to employ powerful images in order to increase self-esteem in our youngest children.”
General Book Lists Arranged by Theme